Thursday 11 April 2013

Love thyself

This post had been due since long, but it's finally here.

I was on a holiday at Madurai, staying at a resort. It seemed like one of the most peaceful places on earth.. there was no traffic, no pollution, no people screaming.. nothing. The scenery was just breathtakingly beautiful.

And, I was at peace with myself. One of the main reasons probably was that I was practically disconnected from the rest of the world.

My phone was in flight mode. No checking messages every now and then. No seeing how many people liked my status. No scrolling through tweets. No one calling to ask about college-related stuff.


Just plain, uninterrupted silence.

As I sat beside the swimming pool, clicking photos, I realized how happy I was at that moment. 

I wished I could live that way forever.

No, seriously. I thought about it. Imagine I had endless money and my life from then would only be chilling out in the resort room, walking to the restaurant whenever I felt hungry and going to places around the city at times. An absolutely carefree, comfortable life.

Of course, such a life would come across as rather pointless. I mean, one day I'd get bored of it and desperately want to go back to my previous world.  But then, how would it be to go back to the previous world, have a proper aim in life, and yet stay at peace from within just like I was in that resort?

The thought of being peaceful from being disconnected itself appears rather strange - and perhaps shocking too. It's not that I'm fed up of the people in my life - I've got quite a few close friends. Then why?

You see, there are two kinds of people in this world. One likes to stay in a group all the time, is loud, more often than not the centre of attention - they're called extroverts. And there's one more kind who likes to spend time with themselves. They don't view it as loneliness; they see it as a pleasant time. A blissful solitude. They're the introverts.

If you've been able to relate yourself to a certain extent with the feeling of peace on being alone that I was talking about earlier, odds are that you belong to the second category. Welcome to the family, mate.

It's not that we don't like the company of people. In fact, we rejoice in it. We love long, thoughtful conversations - with one person at a time. We like it when someone applauds or adores us from a distance - but we love it when someone understands us for what we are, what we think. It's a pleasure to have someone connect with us on a subtle level - as opposed to a superficial level of admiration. And yeah, sometimes, we need time to be totally disconnected - to analyze, discuss and plan the various things we do with the person who knows us better than anyone else- ourselves.

We believe in plain, in-your-face talk. No pretending, no acting 'sweet'. But it's unfortunate why many misunderstand our way of being straightforward, and call us rude.

We revel in a quiet atmosphere. It's amazing how much work we can do when we're given total freedom to do what we want. There's no end to the examples of introverts who have achieved great things in life. But it's not that we despise teamwork either - but we like it only when we have no restrictions, and our partners aren't too dominating - which would just be stupid, 'coz then we wouldn't be able to contribute our maximum.

We love ourselves. And we're proud of it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment